Friday, February 24, 2012

Oscar Predictions: Stephanie Zacharek on Who Will (and Who Should) Win on Hollywood?s Biggest Night

Each Wednesday for the past five months, my colleague S.T. VanAirsdale has fearlessly navigated the ever-shifting Academy Awards tides with his weekly Oscar Index, a gig that?s enough to make even the most intrepid seafaring mortal long for dry land. It?s in sight, Stu! By this coming Monday morning, all of our meticulously calibrated predictions, as well as our wayward hopes for our own personal favorites, will amount to little more than scraps of speared whale blubber, receding in the distance as we move toward next year?s Oscar broadcast. But let?s not get ahead of ourselves. There?s still time to savor the last-minute glitter wave. To that end, here are my own Oscar predictions for each category, followed by the candidates I wish would win.

BEST PICTURE

I loved The Artist when I first saw it last May, and I?ve seen it twice since. It has, of course, become de rigueur to adopt the ?It?s not so great? stance when talking about the picture. But that?s not where my heart lies, and I?ve already spent ample time, both publicly (over at Slate Movie Club) and privately, defending the movie from the ?Meh? Brigade. So, yeah, I hope it wins. But I also have a great deal of fondness for both Moneyball and Midnight in Paris, as well as for War Horse, whose old-school movie grandness appears to be sorely out of fashion, and more?s the pity.

Will win: The Artist

Should win: The Artist

BEST DIRECTOR

I still don?t understand how you can have nine Best Picture nominees and only five Best Director nominees. What, does the Academy think these pictures direct themselves? Of course, in the case of Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, you?d be…

Source: http://www.celebrities.com/celebrities-gossip/oscar-predictions-stephanie-zacharek-on-who-will-and-who-should-win-on-hollywoods-biggest-night/

Diora Baird Dita Von Teese Dominique Swain Donna Feldman Drea de Matteo Drew Barrymore Ehrinn Cummings Elena Lyons

No comments:

Post a Comment